Monday, October 6, 2008

Oct 6th & 7th Blog Entry #5

Reflect on your experience with the novel October Sky. How effective do you think the activities and schedule were for this unit? How does it compare with other novel studies you have done? Do you think you gained more from this type of study? Why or why not?

October Sky has been a different sort of novel study for me. We didn't really have assigned chapters to read to, it was just a matter of keeping up with the journal entries. In other classes I find we do more group reading and class reading, I prefer independent reading, its easier to focus. I liked that Fridays were a silent reading day, and that we were given the choice to read 'October Sky' or something we have brought from home, because if you were behind in reading, and had no chance to read at home, you get 70 minutes of quiet reading time to catch up. I think that this was effective because only the kids that really care will do them on time without being constantly reminded, because everyone just thinks, well, I have a month, I won't do them now. And before you know it, they are due tomorrow. It is different type of novel study then I am used to because usually I have been given one assignment at a time and the due date will be in a couple of days. This semester we had many assignments to do in a long period of time. I think I have gained more from this type of study just because it made me keep track of how long I had and how much I had done.

No comments: